‘Make things right’ campaign launched

Date published: 13th February 2024

Social Housing Issue?

Know your rights, know how to complain.

Everyone deserves a home that is safe, secure, and well maintained. If you live in social housing, your landlord is responsible to fixing issues, including damp and mould, leaks, broken locks or changes you need to your home if you’re disabled.

They can also help with anti-social behaviour, like noisy neighbours.

Know the steps to get an issue fixed.

Step 1. Report it to your landlord. Then, if it is not fixed…

Step 2. Complain through your landlord’s complaint process, and if you’re
not happy with the final response from your landlord…

Step 3. Escalate your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.

Advice about contacting the Housing Ombudsman.

The Housing Ombudsman is impartial, will investigate fairly and can order your landlord to take action.

Once the Housing Ombudsman has ruled against a landlord, they must show they are taking action within 6-8 weeks.

Last year, the Housing Ombudsman ordered landlords to pay over £1m in compensation to residents.

Know your rights, visit gov.uk/social-housing