Discretionary Housing Payment

Date published: 23rd November 2017

Do you receive Housing Benefit to help pay your rent?

Is the amount of Housing Benefit you receive not enough to cover your rent?

Do you struggle to keep up the extra payments you must make to avoid rent arrears?

If the answer is yes to all of these questions, then a discretionary housing payment (DHP) could help you to cover your rent payment. You can make a claim for DHP if you are affected by the bedroom tax or the benefit cap. You could also get a DHP to help pay the rent deposit for a new home, or to help you with the costs of moving to a more affordable home.

You can also apply for a DHP if you receive Universal Credit payments that include help with paying your rent.

You can apply for a DHP from your local authority – find details of your local authority by entering your postcode here